Friday, February 25, 2011

John Richardson (Morning in Lucania)


John Richardson
Morning in Lucania, 2005
acrylic on canvas
4 x 6"

A little statement by John Richardson


I make pictures of things I like to look at.  Some others seem to like looking

at them too.

For some years I have chosen to use a quite limited palette -- a particular

palette for each series of paintings.  My Italian series (Morning in Lucania)

and my sketches (Camilla) use only red ochre, yellow ochre, lamp black, and zinc

white. 

For my series of paintings of southeastern Saskatchewan I chose red and yellow

ochre again and replaced black with pthalo blue (Eastend Sketch 1).  I also used

this pallet for my series 'Figures in a Streetscape' and for a number of Alberta

scenes (The Letourneau Family at Cold Lake).

For my latest series I've moved completely to modern pigments, but still only

four:  titanium white, pthalo blue, cadmium yellow, and quinacridone violet

(Looking Back Again).