Sunday, June 10, 2012

Coming of Age: The Graduates

Derrick Hoekstra, "x(52)=y", playing cards
University of Lethbridge grad Hoekstra says of his work: "Although I work with very different mediums, I approach all my artwork with the same attitude. I attempt to create a moment;...this particular work x(52)=? is no exception. The work is fraught with layers and meanings and I could sum that up by saying I took decks of cards (52 cards/ 52 weeks a year), and I represented my life with them, attempting to catch every moment till now."


"Coming of Age: The Graduates" is a group show featuring the work of recent art school graduates. Ten artists were selected from five Albertan communities: Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer, Grande Prairie, and Lethbridge. The show opens to the public on June 7 with an official opening reception on Thursday, June 21 from 6:30 to 9:30 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment