Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pamela Thurston: A Personal Phytopia

Pamela Thurston, "Deep, Deep, Deep", oil on canvas, 36" x 36", courtesy of Scott Gallery
Alberta artist Pamela Thurston says of this body of work:

Nature is more than simply an “environment”; beyond the myriad forms, textures and colours created by Nature there is soul and the only appropriate response to it is awe. When they are observed closely, with wonder, natural objects seem decidedly otherworldly. The paintings function on several levels:  to express not only my fascination with small details and objects of the plant world and my belief in the value of actually noticing them, but as well, my sense that the veil between here and the sublime is a thin one.

I have titled the paintings to reflect my relation to them, or their significance to me, because I hope not only to elicit a sense of fascination with Nature but also to comment on my experience of living, feeling and sensing that there is more that lies beyond the surface of things.

View Thurston's work in Gallery A of the Visual Arts Alberta Gallery in Edmonton. "A Personal Phytopia" runs concurrently with the textile and collage work found in "Night Drawings and Recent Works" by Jayne Willoughby in Gallery B. These exhibitions will be up in the gallery until June 14, 2014. The Gallery is open from Wed-Fri, 10-4 pm and Sat, 12-4 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment